- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
- A sure sign of summer: Denver finalizes community pool plans
- Spam a little for ‘Spamalot’
- Family ‘Owl’bum
A. LaVerne Zell, former Mayor of Terre Hill, dies
A. LaVerne Zell, 85, of 303 W. Main St., Terre Hill, died Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012 at Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center after a brief illness.
Born in Murrell, Pa., she was the daughter of the late Paul G. and Clara Z. (Ziemer) Burkhart. Her husband, George L. Zell, died Sept. 30, 1952.
LaVerne was a seamstress for many years at SLC in Blue Ball and was also the Mayor of Terre Hill for 14 years. She also served as a missionary in New Guinea for 5 years.
She was a member of Cornerstone Bible Church in Denver, the Cocalico Historical Society, and volunteered at the Eicher Indian Museum in Ephrata. She also enjoyed genealogy and was active in the Democrat Party.
She is survived by her son: William Zell of Terre Hill; her sister: Mary A., married to John Hartranft of New Holland; three sisters-in-law, Mildred Burkhart of Ephrata, Edith Burkhart of Jackson, Mich., and Elaine Burkhart of Clayton, Ga.
She was predeceased by three brothers: Raymond, Paul, and Harold Burkhart; and one sister: Shirley Eitnier.
Services were held Nov. 19 at Cornerstone Bible Church, Denver, with the Reverend Jahn M. Horgen and the Reverend Jahn D. Horgen officiating. Interment was in the Terre Hill Cemetery. If desired, contributions may be made to Hospice & Community Care, PO Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604-4125.
To send the family online condolences, visit: groffeckenroth.com.
Arrangements by Eckenroth Home for Funerals, Terre Hill.