Denver house fire displaces family, pets

By on August 17, 2016

A family of eight and their pets were displaced by a Friday morning fire that did extensive damage to their home at 525 Main St.

The Denver Fire Company and many mutual aid departments were dispatched to the home of Jennifer and John Wentz and their six children, ages 7 to 18, arriving to find fire and heavy smoke showing from a corner of the structure.

According to Denver Fire Company officials, crews made quick work of knocking down the bulk of the fire and spent several hours doing overhaul operations.

Photo by Stan Hall Fire crews battle the blaze and oppressive heat Friday, Aug. 12, on Main Street in Denver.

Photo by Stan Hall
Fire crews battle the blaze and oppressive heat Friday, Aug. 12, on Main Street in Denver.

Due to the heat index being over 100 degrees additional manpower was requested so they could rotate crews in and out, they said.

The Denver Borough office provided family members and pets a comfortable environment to stay during their time of need.

CK Grill provided cool drinks and ice cream for the various crews.

Officials expressed their gratitude to neighbors and community members for providing drinks and food and for opening up their homes for crews to get out of the heat.

Apparatus and volunteers from the Reinholds, Schoeneck, Smokestown, Stevens, Ephrata, Adamstown, Reamstown, and Spring Township, Berks County, responded. Reamstown and Akron departments were on stand by.

One fire police officer required medical attention for a heat-related illness.

Photo courtesy Dave and Joyce Wilhide Leo’s volunteers Joyce Wilhide (left) and Susan Lovie (right) deliver pet supplies to the Wentz (mom Jennifer is at center) family at their temporary lodgings in Denver.

Photo courtesy Dave and Joyce Wilhide
Leo’s volunteers Joyce Wilhide (left) and Susan Lovie (right) deliver pet supplies to the Wentz (mom Jennifer is at center) family at their temporary lodgings in Denver.

The family is being housed temporarily at the Comfort Inn in Denver until new housing is secured.

Several of their pets are being cared for at a nearby animal hospital. One pet, a pot-bellied pig, is with them at the hotel, according to representatives of Leo’s Helping Paws who are assisting with providing pet food and veterinary care.

Neither the cause of the fire nor the damage estimate was available at press time.

About dreed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *