- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
How to keep your cool
As a precautionary measure and to minimize the dangers of the excessive heat, the Lancaster County Office of Aging is extending hours of operation at Cocalico Senior Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from July 15 to 19.
Cocalico Senior Center is located at 156 W. Main St., Reinholds. Call the center at 336-7489 for more information.
Lancaster County Office of Aging also offers these tips during this week’s hot spell:
Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced or rescheduled.
Wear loose fitting, light colored clothing.
Drink plenty of water or cool, nonalcoholic and noncaffeinated beverages, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
Spend more time in air-conditioned buildings. Air conditioning in homes and other places reduces danger from heat. If you do not have air conditioning, visit your local senior center, library, shopping mall or designated "cooling center."
Eat smaller meals on a more frequent basis. Remember not to leave foods requiring refrigeration out in the heat.
Take a cool shower, bath or sponge bath.
When outdoors, find a shady area to rest. Wear sunscreen, sun glasses and a brimmed hat.
Ask your doctor or other health professional if the medications you take can increase your susceptibility to heat-related illness.
Check on your senior friends, family and neighbors. Watch for signs of heat-related illness.
Listen to local news or weather channels for health and safety updates.
Call 911 if medical attention is needed.
For more information on the Lancaster County Office of Aging, or for questions, call 1-800-801-3070.