- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
- A sure sign of summer: Denver finalizes community pool plans
- Spam a little for ‘Spamalot’
- Family ‘Owl’bum
John Smaltz, 79, Cocalico H.S. science teacher, Army vet dies
John A. Smaltz, 79, Denver, died Dec. 17, 2012, at Masonic Village, Elizabethtown.
Born in Hazelton, he was a son of the late Harold A. and Charlotte E. (Hughes) Smaltz.
He was a 1951 Hughestown High School and 1957 Bloomsburg University graduate. John taught science for 35 years at Cocalico High School, Denver, also serving as department head, junior class advisor, and supervised sound, sets and lighting at school productions, football games and band events. An Army veteran he was also a member of Ephrata Lodge #665 F&AM, and cherished his grandchildren.
Surviving: his wife of 55 years, Rita J. (Treese) Smaltz; son: Jay A. (Roberta Showalter) Smaltz, Denver; daughter: Amy J. (Brad) Knaus, Lancaster; grandchildren: Joshua A., Abagail R., Patrick T., Sarah E. and Rachel M.; sister: Elizabeth C. Smaltz; and nephew: James E. Smaltz, both of Exton.
Services were held Dec. 20 at Good Funeral Home & Cremation Centre, Reamstown with private interment in White Haven Cemetery, Luzerne Co. Rather than flowers, consider contributions to Masonic Village, 1 Masonic Drive, Elizabethtown, PA 17022.
To offer an online condolence, visit goodfuneral.com.
Arrangements entrusted to Good Funeral Home & Cremation Centre, Reamstown.