- Warwick grad producing ‘Million Dollar Quartet’ at Dutch Apple
- Hello (again), Dolly!
- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- St. Patty’s musical at Ephrata Main
- Dance, concert will benefit Jamaica missions
- Happy Anniver5ary, St. Boniface!
- Downtown diversity
- Travelogue will explore Colorado River this Saturday
- Cool lineup!
Scouting for dollars…Donations being solicited for construction of new building
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, a local fixture erased by a hurricane may surface again in a new iteration.
The popular Boy Scout cabin in Denver Memorial Park, flooded by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee in September 2011 and subsequently demolished, is likely to soon have a successor.
“Drawings for the proposed new Scout cabin are essentially complete,” Denver Borough Manager Mike Hession told council members at their Aug. 25 meeting.
The drawings will be on display at the Boy Scouts table at the Denver Fair, Sept. 9 to 13, at Denver Park. Donations are welcome.
“Denver Lions Club set up an account at Fulton Bank for donations to the cabin,” said Hession.
Former Denver Boy Scouts will receive letters inviting them to support this project. The cabin already has many business and family contributions to help match the $50,000-challenge pledge from Brian Shober and other Shober family members.
The Shober family was the force behind Scouting activity in Denver for more than 50 years, and they advocate the benefits of having a Scout cabin to use.
“Brian Shober continues working hard on this project, and it’s going well,” said Hession. “Last week, in addition to the firm commitments of the initial $50,000 and $18,000 more, another $10,000 plus is verbally committed for donations of work, such as electrical, that include labor and materials.”
Shober indicated in an earlier conversation that total donations sought are in the $100,000-$125,000 range.
Scouting in Denver is recovering its vitality, with 14 Venture Scouts, a Cub Pack and a new leader in former Boy Scout Doran Getz.
In other matters, during the public comment portion of the meeting, Vice President Mike Gensemer complimented Police Chief George Beever, and his East Cocalico Police Force on its reported clearance rate of 62 percent.
“That’s great, keep up the good work,” Gensemer said.
In other business:
* Council approved closing a part of North Third Street for the Block Party on Oct. 11 from 12-4 pm to celebrate the grand opening of the REAL Youth Ministry, located in the former Denver Bible Church. Executive Director Rodney Redcay, who is also the Denver mayor, spoke to the event and the anticipated youth ministry to occur at the site.
“Many businesses have made donations to support this endeavor,” Redcay said.
* Beever said the new radios will go “live” for county agencies the week of Oct. 6.
“In November we’ll be one of the first departments to go live with them,” Beever said. New radio use will be phased in by regions, and East Cocalico Police is in one of the first regions.
* Denver Public Works Department has assembled and installed the new hockey nets at the park.
* Video surveillance signs were installed at the borough lot.
* Council authorized the Cocalico Education Foundation’s 5K Race and One-Half (1/2) Mile Fun Run on Saturday, Sept. 27, pending event coordination with the Denver Fire Police.
* Council authorized the Denver Lion’s Club’s 2014 Denver Community Porch Sale on Saturday, Sept. 6.