- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Ephrata salutes military with annual Memorial Day program
In a joint effort by the American Legion Post #429, VFW Post #3376, BPO Elks Lodge #1933 and Amvets Post #136 a Memorial Day program will be held at the War Memorial Field in Ephrata on May 28 from 9 to 10 a.m.
Opening remarks will be done by Sean Brennan, and invocation and benediction will be made by Father John McLoughlin of Our Mother of Perpetual Help Church.
Included in the ceremony will be a salute to the military branches and a flag presention to the Ephrata War Memorial Association.
The guest speaker will be Capt. Jay Ostrich, currently serving in the Pennsylvania Air National Guard’ 193rd Special Operations wing, Middletown, where he is the chief of public affairs. Recognized as Feature Writer of the Year for the USAF in 2008 and three times by the National Guard Bureau in 2006, 2008 and 2010, he has personalized the stories of soldiers and airmen. In his civilian life, Ostrich is the director of public affairs for the Commonwealth Foundation. He and his wife, Joelle, have a daughter, Harper.
Misty Fasnacht and Mike Witmer will sing the "National Anthem" this year as well as "I Will Remember You" and "America the Beautiful." The Ephrata High School Band will also participate in the service.
The Amvets Post #136 will be holding a free breakfast for the public directly following the service.