Letter carrier recovering after hit-and-run

By on December 29, 2014
Mark E. Jobes

Mark E. Jobes

An Ephrata letter carrier is home and recovering after being the victim of a hit-and-run Dec. 26.

Mark E. Jobes, 64, was struck at 2:45 p.m. at the intersection of North Church and West Locust streets. He suffered a broken ankle and broken wrist and was taken to Ephrata Community Hospital for treatment.

Benjamin Boyer, 22, of the 100 block of North Church Avenue, Ephrata, is facing a felony charge of hit and run of a pedestrian and a summary charge of leaving the scene of an accident.

Jobes, who has been a letter carrier for 27 years, said he was about two-thirds of the way through his route when the accident occurred.

He said he was delivering mail on Church Street and was almost through the intersection.

“I was almost at the curb when I was hit,” he said. “I was just a step or two away.”

Jobes said he didn’t see the car but he could hear it coming and that the driver was about a half a block away.

“But I didn’t feel that I was in danger,” he said, “and I just kept walking. Then suddenly, I didn’t know what happened.

Police arrived to find the U.S. postal worker had been struck by a small black vehicle.

Jobes said he is feeling good despite his injuries and feels lucky to be alive.

“It could have been a lot worse,” he said.

Jobes, a 1968 Ephrata High School graduate, worked at RCA as an electric technician, before he became a letter carrier.

“I got a late start,” he said.

As for what the future holds, he is not sure. He said he would like to return to work but that might not be possible.

“We will have to wait and see how I recover. I do a lot of walking,” he said. “This certainly is not how I planned for it (my career) to end.

Jobes has one of four routes in Ephrata that is all walking. He said he walks a minimum of six hours every day.

“On heavy mail days, it can be seven hours,” he said. “Especially around the holiday season.”

His day also involves two hours of office work which includes setting up that day’s mail and getting it ready for delivery. He said no mail truck is involved with his delivery.

Jobes said he would like to thank everyone who helped that fateful day, especially Bev Reihl.

“She stayed with me until help showed up,” he said.

Jobes would also like to thank all the first responders, EMTs and police.

“Its just wonderful everyone that comes to your aid,” he said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *