- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Michael A. Amico, owned Galens for 40 years, dies
Michael A. Amico, of Lititz, passed away Friday, May 17, 2013 at Hospice & Community Care.
Born in Lancaster, Mike was the son of the late Michael Alphonso and Susan Amico. He was a graduate of J.P. McCaskey High School and served in the Philippines during his time in the Air Force.
Mike was a buyer at Hager’s Department Store in Lancaster, then Merchandise Manager at Hess’s Department Store both in Allentown and Lancaster. In 1972 he and his wife, Edith, purchased Galens of Ephrata which for 40 years was Mike’s passion until they retired in 2012.
Mike was a longtime, active member of the Sertoma Club of Lancaster and the Lancaster Elks Lodge #134. He loved traveling with friends and family and enjoyed working around his home.
Mike was devoted to his family. In addition to his wife Edith, he is survived by two daughters: Kim, wife of Thomas Speer of Germany; and Heidi Rietschy of Lititz; a grandson: Sven; a sister: Dorothy Misko; and two nephews: George, married to Joan Misko; Steven Misko; and Frank Kirkpatrick, who is considered as a part of their family. He was predeceased by a niece: Barbara Hunter.
A mass of Christian burial will take place at noon May 24 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 440 St. Joseph St., Lancaster, with Msgr. Thomas H. Smith as celebrant. A visitation will be held at the church on Friday from 10:30 a.m. until the time of service. Interment will be private.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in Michael’s memory can be made to Hospice & Community Care of Lancaster County, 685 Good Drive, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604-4125. To leave an online condolence for the family, please visit kasnyderfuneralhome.com.
More AMICO, page A16