‘Old’ McDonald’s farms out workers
Employees from the burned out McDonald’s restaurant at the Cloister Shopping Center are working at the new McDonald’s that’s expected to open in two weeks, the owner said.
Joanne Brown, who co-owns both restaurants with husband William, said they had planned to hire a new staff for the new McDonald’s in the Ephrata Marketplace at 854 E. Main St. (Route 322).
But for now, 50 idled employees from the burned out restaurant on Route 272 are working at the new McDonald’s on Route 322.
“We interviewed 25 people (last week) and we’re looking to have 70 employees; plus 12 managers and a supervisor,” she said.
The Browns met with Ephrata Borough officials last week to discuss rebuilding the restaurant, which has been closed since a June 2 fire caused extensive damage. The Brown’s insurance provider and McDonald’s Corp. determined the building is a total loss, Joanne Brown said.
A complete rebuild is scheduled for the fall including a reconfiguration of the access to the McDonald’s off Route 272.
The fire was reported at about 3:10 a.m. two months ago and fire fighters quickly had it under control.
Still, Lincoln Fire Company Chief Randy Gockley estimated damage from the two-alarm fire at several hundred thousand dollars. Four employees were at work when they saw smoke and evacuated. There were no customers in the restaurant at the time.
The fire damaged a rear storage area and roof. The building also received water, smoke and heat damage throughout.
Ephrata Township Supervisor Tyler Zerbe confirmed Tuesday that the owners have received $2M in insurance money as a result of the fire.
“The (Cloister) shopping center McDonald’s is going to be rebuilt,” said Zerbe. “They must tear the old building down.”
Patrick Burns is a staff writer for The Ephrata Review. He welcomes your questions and comments and can be reached at email@example.com or at 721-4455