- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Ralph Slote, music centre owner, dies
Ralph S. Slote, 89, of Ephrata, passed away Sunday, July 15, 2012 at Masonic Villages of Elizabethtown. Ralph was previously a resident of Denver Nursing Home, Stevens.
Born in Ephrata on Jan. 25, 1923 he was the son of the late Samuel and Theresa (Reichard) Slote. Ralph was the husband of Edith (Sweigart) Slote, with whom he shared 70 years of marriage this past Jan. 3.
Ralph was a trombonist and piano technician for over 60 years. In 1938, he played trombone under the baton of Col. George S. Howard at Mansfield S.T.C., and was the leader of the Johnny Slote Orchestra in the 1950s. Ralph and Edith also owned Slote Music Centre in Ephrata. He was a member of the Ephrata Masonic Blue Lodge #665 F.& A.M. He enjoyed playing golf and tennis. He was of the protestant faith.
In addition to his wife, Ralph is survived by a son: Jeffrey L., husband of Linda (Demmy) Slote, of Ephrata; a daughter: Bonnie L. Hertzog, of Ephrata; four grandchildren: J. Stanton, husband of Tammy Slote, of New Holland; J. John, husband of Marcia Slote, of Mass.; Terry, husband of Christine Hertzog, of Lititz; and Brad Hertzog, of Queens, N.Y.; and seven great-grandchildren: Emily Anne Slote, Marissa Weiner, Caitlin Weiner, Nathan, Joanna, Justin and Amanda Hertzog.
In addition to his parents, Ralph was preceded in death by a brother: Melvin Slote; and a sister: Josephine Kemper.
A visitation will be held on July 20 from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Stradling Funeral Home, 201 Church Ave., Ephrata. Interment will be private at the convenience of the family.
Arrangements are being made by Stradling Funeral Homes Inc., Akron/Ephrata. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com. More SLOTE, page A18