- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Richard L. Root, 75, former sports editor, local business owner, dies
Richard L. "Dick" Root, 75, of Ephrata, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013, at his son’s residence.
He was born in Ephrata to the late James and Anna (Leisey) Root and was the husband of Eleanore (Yerger) Root with whom he shared 50 years of marriage.
Dick attended Bergstrasse Evangelical Lutheran Church. A local business owner, he owned and operated Seidel’s Photo Service for 28 years and TJ Sports Den for 25 years. He was a sports editor for the Ephrata Review from 1959 to 1969. He served in the PA National Guard. Dick was a former member of the Ephrata Rotary Club, Ephrata Merchants Association and the Ephrata War Memorial Association. He was a 1956 graduate of Ephrata High School, where he was a four sport varsity athlete. There was nothing more important to Richard than his family and he spent a great deal of time attending their activities, games and a yearly family vacation to the beach.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters: Tammy, wife of Steve Frey of Ephrata; Jodi, wife of Andrew Guild of Sinking Spring; two sons: Todd, husband of Kelie Root of Lancaster; Jeff, husband of Brienna Root of Ephrata; seven grandchildren; one brother and three sisters.
A visitation was held Nov. 10 at the Bergstrasse Evangelical Lutheran Church, Ephrata, followed by his funeral service with Rev. Herbert A. Lohr officiating. Interment will be private at the convenience of the family.
Arrangements by Stradling Funeral Homes, Inc., Akron/Ephrata. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.
More ROOT, page A15