- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Ruth Groff, 95, civic leader, assisted with family businesses, dies
Ruth Elizabeth (Reitz) Groff, 95, of Ephrata, passed away at her residence Friday, April 6.
Born in Ephrata to Chester E. and Sadie (Stehman) Reitz, she was the wife of the late James Mull Groff, who passed away in 1989.
Ruth was a member of First United Methodist Church in Ephrata. She was a member and past president of the Cloister Flower Club, the Ephrata Historical Society, the Women’s Club of Ephrata and the Eicher Arts Center. Ruth was a basketball fan and enjoyed antiquing and collecting frogs. She also volunteered at Ephrata Community Hospital. She was a graduate of Rothsville High School class of 1934 and also of Lancaster Business College. A homemaker, in her earlier years Ruth assisted with her father’s feed mill and her late husband’s grocery store.
Ruth is survived by two sons: James Douglas (Doug), husband of Ruth (Greenlaw) Groff, of Arizona; and John William, husband of Teresa (Stafford) Groff, with whom she resided; seven grandchildren; and 13 great grandchildren.
Besides her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by her daughter, Barbara Susanne Groff in 1945 and her brother, John Reitz.
A memorial service was held April 11 at First United Methodist Church, located at 68 N. Church St., Ephrata, with Pastor Walter Carter officiating. The family received friends following the memorial service at the church.
Kindly omit flowers. Memorial donations in Ruth’s memory may be made to Hospice of Lancaster County, located at P.O. Box 4125 Lancaster, PA 17604. To send condolences to the family visit stradlingfuneralhome.com. More GROFF, page A16