- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Saturday is Cocalico Cal’s big day
With dozens of dignitaries and celebrities expected to attend, Ephrata’s groundhog, Cocalico Cal, might be expected to be nervous about once again correctly forecasting the weather for the remainder of winter. Lincoln Lodge Brothers report, however, that he is as cool as ice, never having been wrong once in his stint of 10 years. His only concern is the persistent rumor that the now unemployed former Lottery Commission mascot, Groundhog Gus, may rain on his parade. Gus is known to be jealous of the charismatic Cal and is looking for work. If Gus would be so bold as to crash Cal’s party Saturday, this reporter knows that surely the fur will fly.
The event takes place at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 2 in the Ephrata Park, rain, shine or snow. Free coffee and doughnuts will be provided in the Eicher House in the park prior to the pageant. Barring any unforeseen problems, Cal will appear on stage and prognosticate the continuation or end of winter, without the use of barometers, thermometers, super dopplichs, radar guns or any other new-fangled contraptions. New recruits for the groundhog lodge will then be taken to the Cocalico Creek for the Initiation Rite of Immersion. All attending are welcome to join them for a polar plunge. Door prizes will be awarded. Those attending are invited to bring non-perishable food, which the Lodge will give to the Ephrata Area Social Services food bank. Admission and parking are free. Everyone looking forward to spring is invited to attend.