- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Allen Shirk, 69, Reinholds, Salvation Army volunteer, enjoyed hunting, fishing
Allen Shirk, 69, Reinholds, died at home July 19, 2014, with assistance of Hospice & Community Care.
Born in Martindale, a son of Roy S. and Ida H. (Burkholder) Shirk, he was the husband of Emma L. (Behney) Shirk for 48 years.
He had worked for Sealcrete, Akron, and last with By The Book Painting and Wallcovering, Denver. Allen volunteered with The Salvation Army, Reading; was a life-member of Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club; enjoyed hunting and fishing; and cherished family time with his grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Surviving are his daughter: Valerie A. (Dennis) Schmeck, Reinholds; sons: Gregory L. Shirk, Reinholds; and Jeffrey W. (April Ashby) Shirk, Ephrata; grandchildren: Taylor Allen Schmeck and Samantha J. Shirk; sisters: Annie (Harvey) Hoover, Ephrata; SueEtta (Luke) Zimmerman, Barnett, Miss., and Lizzie, widow of Amos Shirk, Denver; and brothers: David (Geraldine) Shirk, Martinsburg, and Joseph (Ellen) Shirk, Newville.
His brother: LeRoy and Noah, predeceased him.
A viewing will be held Wednesday, July 23, 1 to 3 p.m. at Good Funeral Home & Cremation Centre, Reamstown, with services at 3 p.m.
Rather than flowers, consider contributions to Salvation Army, Box 1099, Reading, PA 19603.
Online condolences may be offered to the family at goodfuneral.com. Good Funeral Home and Cremation Centre, Reamstown, was entrusted with the arrangements.