- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Elizabeth M. Shirk, Shirlee retiree
Elizabeth M. Shirk, 88, of Akron, formerly of Terre Hill, died peacefully with her family at her side Friday, Oct. 14, 2011 at the home of her daughter.
Born in Lebanon, she was the daughter of the late Robert and Elizabeth (Achey) Shilling. She was married to Robert Shirk, with whom she celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary.
Elizabeth retired in 1986 from Shirlee Manufacturing in Terre Hill. She attended Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in Philadelphia and was a member of the Keystone Deaf Senior Citizens. She enjoyed traveling, camping and spending time at the Tioga and Pocono cabins.
Surviving in addition to her husband are two daughters: Roberta, wife of Jon Winkelspecht, of Akron, with whom she resided; and Elizabeth, wife of Michael Panarella, of Medford, N.J.; two sons: Lance, husband of Sandra (Witmer) Shirk, of Willow Street; and John, husband of Tamara (Heidlauf) Shirk, of Ephrata; 14 grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; a sister: Phyllis Dove, of Palmyra; and a brother: Richard Shilling, of Lebanon.
Preceding her in death are two brothers: Robert and Harry; and a sister: Harriet McLucas.
Funeral services were held on Oct. 18 at the Eckenroth Home for Funerals, Terre Hill, with the Rev. Russell Rockwell officiating. Interment took place in the Terre Hill Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Hospice of Lancaster County, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604-4125.
To send the family condolences, visit groffeckenroth.com.