- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Jennifer J. Shirk 42, Alexandria resident, had a passion for real estate, fine food
Jennifer Jeanne (Dowling) Shirk, of Alexandria, Va., passed away at her home July 31, 2014 of breast cancer. She was 42.
She was born in Port Jefferson, N.Y. to Francis and Carole Dowling, and moved to York in 1973 where she attended St. Rose of Lima and York Catholic High School. She then went on to graduate from Loyola University Maryland in 1994, after which she lived in Richmond, Va. before finally settling in Alexandria in 2001.
Over her career, Jennifer was employed as an information security specialist at various firms throughout the DC area, but her true passion was real estate. She was fortunate enough to moonlight at Long & Foster and Keller Williams over the years, and successfully assisted many customers with their transactions. She was a parishioner of St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Alexandria. She enjoyed spending time with her son Aaron, traveling, and fulfilling her epicurean interests at many of DC’s finest restaurants.
Jennifer is survived by her husband: Justin Shirk, formerly of Ephrata; her son: Aaron Shirk; her parents: Francis and Carole Dowling; her brother: Keith Dowling; her niece: Emma Dowling; and her nephew: Cade Dowling.
A public funeral mass was held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Alexandria, on Aug. 4. Interment took place in the Keller’s Cemetery of Springville, Ephrata Township.
Kindly omit flowers. Memorial contributions in Jennifer’s memory may be made to the American Cancer Society or the Susan G Komen Foundation.
Virginia arrangements by Jefferson Funeral Chapel in Alexandria. Pennsylvania arrangements by Paul L. Gravenor Home For Funerals, Ephrata. To send an online condolence visit gravenorhomeforfunerals.com.