- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
John Smith, 48, Donnelly worker, soccer coach
John M. Smith, 48, of Ephrata, passed away after a 12-year illness Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011 at Hospice of Lancaster County, Mount Joy.
He was born in Harrisburg to Robert M. Smith, of Williamsport, and the late Betty (Patrick) Smith, and was the husband of Tina L. (Adair) Smith. They celebrated 22 years of marriage April 15.
John was a member of the Ephrata Church of Brethren. A youth soccer coach in the Ephrata Youth Soccer Club, John enjoyed attending his son’s sporting events. He also enjoyed golfing and camping. John was someone who always put people before himself.
John worked as an assistant pressman for R. R. Donnelly for 24 years.
Beside his wife, Tina, John is survived by three sons: Brandon R., Kyle P. and Alex J. Smith, at home; a brother: James R., husband of Nancy (Whetstone) Smith, of Reading; three sisters: Winnie F., wife of Mike Kremser, of Montoursville; Sallie M., wife of Norman Pure, of Ithaca, N.Y.; and Eileen P., wife of Harry Bettig, of the Netherlands; eight nieces; and three nephews.
Funeral services were held on Dec. 12 at the Ephrata Church of the Brethren, with Pastor Galen Hackman and Pastor Rob Eshelman officiating. Interment will take place in the Muddy Creek Cemetery, Denver, at the convenience of the family.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions may be made in John’s memory to Susquehanna Bank, 1300 West Main St., Ephrata, toward John’s three sons’ college fund.
Arrangements were made by Stradling Funeral Homes Inc., Akron/Ephrata. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.