- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
John Sweigart, 98, business owner
John J. Sweigart, 98, formerly of Denver, passed away Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at United Zion Retirement Community in Lititz.
Born in Denver, he was the son of the late Scott S. and Ida E. (Hartman) Sweigart. He was the husband of the late Lillie M. (Hertzog) Sweigart, who passed away in 2004.
John was the oldest and longest living charter member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Denver, where he had served as a Sunday school teacher for many years.
John was a former volunteer for Red Cross and traveled locally and nationally to assist in disaster relief. He was chaplain at Ephrata Community Hospital and also volunteered in other capacities. He was a former Denver Lions Club member and past president. He was the last of his Denver High School Class of 1931.
John and his wife owned and operated Sweigart’s Market for 35 years. He was also a counselor and business manager at the United Methodist Church Camp in Mt. Gretna.
He is survived by his two children: Harold J., husband of Virginia A. Bard, of Fort Mill, S.C.; and Eileen J., wife of John W. Schindewolf, of Cheshire, Conn.; numberous grandchildren; great-grandchildren; and great-great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held May 23 at United Zion Retirement Community with the Rev. Ethan L. Levengood officiating. Interment took place in Fairview Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in John’s memory may be made to the charity of your choice.
Arrangements were made by Roseboro Stradling Funeral & Cremation Services Inc. Online condolences can be sent to roseborostradling.com.