- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Martha Needles, 87, D&E operator
Martha V. Needles, 87, of Ephrata, died Friday, Dec. 23, 2011 in Ephrata Community Hospital.
She was predeceased by her husband, Edgar C. Needles, in 1993.
She graduated from Ephrata High School along with her twin sister, Mary, then worked as a telephone operator for D&E Telephone. As a homemaker, she loved to travel the western U.S. with her husband and granddaughter. In later years she enjoyed weekly shopping with her daughter. She was an avid reader with her main interests in U.S. and world affairs. Through her 70s, she loved to travel Lancaster County’s back roads, taking many beautiful scenic photos.
Surviving are a son: Bruce Needles, of Ephrata; daughters: Kay Needles, of Ephrata; and JaoAnn Bowman, of Manor Care, Lebanon; four grandchildren: Krystal Schwace, of Lebanon County; Misty Bowman, in the U.S. Army, Germany; and Stephanie Needles, of Ephrata; one great-grandchild: Zachary Schwace, of Lebanon County; nephews: Phillip, Tony and Dennis Lehman and Bradley Burkholder; two nieces: Sheila, wife of Mark Young, of Reamstown; and Marsha Jackson, of Tennessee.
She was predeceased by a twin sister: Mary, wife of the late James Burkholder; a sister: Elenor, wife of the late Paul Lehman; and a nephew: Terry Lehman.