- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Norman Alton Shirk, 82, Win-Kit, Weaver’s worker
Norman Alton Shirk, 82, of Reinholds, passed away Friday, March 16, 2012 at his home.
He was born in Alleghenyville, Berks County, to the late Raymond and Elsie (Matz) Shirk, and was the husband of Ella B.(Schannauer) Shirk, with whom he shared 57 years this past February.
Norman was a graduate of Shillington High School. He served in the U.S. Air Force, was a member of Swamp Lutheran Church, Reinholds and was a member of the Reinholds Volunteer Fire Company. He enjoyed spending time with his family and gardening. During his working years he was a carpenter for Win-Kit, Reinholds, and later in life he worked for Weaver’s Store, Adamstown.
In addition to his wife, Norman is survived by a son: Dr. Michael, husband of Jennifer (Polka) Shirk, of Lancaster; granddaughter: Ava Shirk; and sister: Ruth, wife of Earl Swartz, of Mohnton.
He was preceded in death by three brothers: Walter, William and Clarence.
Funeral services were held March 20 from at the Swamp Lutheran Church, Reinholds, with Pastor Dennis Trout and Chaplain Glenn Beard officiating. Interment took place in the Swamp Cemetery.
Memorial contributions in Norman’s memory may be made to Hospice of Lancaster County, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604.
Arrangements were made by Roseboro Stradling Funeral & Cremation Services Inc., Denver. Online condolences can be given at roseborostradling.com.