- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
- A sure sign of summer: Denver finalizes community pool plans
- Spam a little for ‘Spamalot’
- Family ‘Owl’bum
- Crafts & Draughts at JoBoy’s
- Annual spring sale for Adamstown book worms
Robert Shirk, 88, Trojan Boat retiree
Robert I. Shirk, 88, of Akron, formerly of Terre Hill, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2012 at Ephrata Hospital while with his daughter.
Robert joins his wife of 65 years, Elizabeth (Shilling). Born in New Holland, he was the son of the late Eli and Ruth (Marshall) Shirk.
Robert retired in 1986 from Trojan Boat Co. in Lancaster. He attended Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in Philadelphia and was a member of Keystone Senior Citizens and Tioga hunting cabin. He enjoyed traveling, camping and spending time at the Pocono and Tioga cabin.
Surviving are his daughters: Roberta, wife of Jon Winkelspecht, of Akron, with whom he resided; and Elizabeth, wife of Michael Panarella, of Medford, N.J.; two sons: Lance, wife of Sandra (Witmer) Shirk, of Willow Street; and John, husband of Tamara (Heidlauf) Shirk, of Ephrata; 14 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; a brother: Harrison Shirk, of New Holland; and a sister: Ruth Atkinson, of Ephrata.
Preceding him in death are two brothers: Dale and Gilbert.
His funeral was held on Feb. 18 at the Eckenroth Home for Funerals, Terre Hill, with Pastor Russell Rockwell officiating. Interment took place in Terre Hill Cemetery.
Online condolences may be posted at groffeckenroth.com.