- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Thelma Smock, 87, musician, composer
Thelma D. (Wolf) Smock, 87, of Ephrata, entered into the presence of the Lord Friday, Dec. 23, 2011.
Born in Spring City, she was the daughter of the late Norman and Esther (Gehret) Wolf and was the wife of the late Pastor Robert W. Smock.
Thelma was a member of the Bible Fellowship Church of Ephrata and served in the ministry together at her husband’s side for 60 years. Her life’s verse was Joshua 1:9 — "Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take." She was a graduate of Central Penn Business College in Harrisburg. She composed and wrote many songs and played various instruments. The piano was her favorite.
Thelma is survived by four children: Dr. David Smock, of Whitehall; Sharon, wife of David Mertz, of Ephrata; Dr. James, husband of Cheryl Smock, of Pottstown; and Andrew Smock, of Uden (The Netherlands); 10 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren; and two sisters: Ellen (Kauffman) Derck, of Rhinelander, Wisc.; and Beatrice (Wolf) Derck, of Lancaster.
Besides her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by her brother: Horace Kauffman.
A funeral service will be held on Dec. 29 at 11 a.m. at the Bible Fellowship Church, 491 Peach Road, Ephrata, with Rev. Dr. Robert Kramer officiating. Interment will take place at the convenience of the family.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Thelma’s memory may be made to Bible Fellowship Church, 491 Peach Road Ephrata, PA 17522 or to West-Mont Christian Academy, 873 S. Hanover St., Pottstown, PA 19465.
Arrangements are being made by Stradling Funeral Homes Inc., Akron/Ephrata.