- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Walter Zimmerman, 79, Army; truck, bus driver
He was born in Ephrata on April 6, 1934, to the late Aaron and Anna (Martin) Zimmerman and was the husband of Esther M. (Troxel) Zimmerman with whom he shared 58 years of marriage.
Walter was a member of the Hammer Creek Mennonite Church. He served in the United States Army for three years, stationed in Germany. He returned home and married Esther M. Troxel in 1955. Walter sold ice cream for the former Cloister Dairies for a number of years before returning to farming. He also worked for Plain & Fancy Egg Ranch in Elizabethtown before buying his own truck and started hauling freight. He retired after driving bus for Conestoga Tours.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by four sons: Walter Jr., husband of Marlene (Kreider) Zimmerman of Bradford; Dennis, husband of Julie (Snyder) Zimmerman of Beaver Springs; Carl, husband of Martha (Hoover) Zimmerman of Lititz; Barry Zimmerman of Manheim; a daughter, Cindy, wife of Brian Holden of Glassboro, N.J.; 11 grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; a brother: Ivan and four sisters: Irene, Edith, Anna and Marie.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by four brothers: Frank, Lloyd, Elmer and Edward and a sister: Dorothy.
A funeral was held Nov. 22 at the Hammer Creek Mennonite Church, Lititz with Rev. Leonard Rutt, Rev. Fred Heller and Rev. Mervin Gingrich officiating. Interment took place in the Weaverland Old Order Mennonite Church Cemetery.
Arrangements by Stradling Funeral Homes, Inc., Akron/Ephrata. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.