- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Bensing advances to regional tourney
Ephrata senior Lacey Bensing turned in two round scores of 81 and 82 to finish sixth overall at the District Three Girls Golf Championships held at Briarwood West Course in York this past Friday and Saturday.
Bensing finished 23 over par and will now join three other L-L League golfers– Mary Beth Palic of Manheim Township, Haley Goodling of Manheim Central, and Meg Palic of Manheim Township– at the Eastern Regionals set for October 16 at Golden Oaks in Fleetwood.
Bensing’s teammate and L-L League champion Megan Esterbrook just missed the cut for Regionals (the top eight advance), posting a pair of 84s at Districts to finish 10th overall at 30 over par.
Elizabeth McGarrigle of Conrad Weiser claimed the title with a score of 6-over par, defeating Central Dauphin’s Allison Cooper by four strokes. Mary Beth Palic was third at plus-16, Jaqueline Oggero of Hershey was fourth (17 over par) while Goodling place fifth just in front of Bensing with a two-day total of plus-21.
In boys action, no Ephrata or Cocalico golfers advanced past Friday’s first round.
While 79 was the cut line, Cocalico’s Nate Sauder was the top local finisher as he came up four strokes short with an 83 on the Briarwood East course. The Eagles’ Nate Artz finished just behind with an 84, and Nick Hatch of Ephrata was right behind him with an 85.
Cocalico’s Hans Shollenberger and Ryan Lefever of Ephrata both carded 88s to round out the local competitors.