- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Janis snaps school record in javelin
Cocalico junior thrower Jhett Janis became the first in the L-L League to throw the javelin 200 feet Monday afternoon in a home meet vs. Garden Spot.
Janis uncorked a throw of 204-6 on his second launch of the day to snap the previous record of 203-0 established at the State Meet last year by former teammate Kyle Felpel, who is now at the University of Alabama.
His javelin victory was one of two on the day for Janis, who also won the 100 in a time of 11.3 to lead the Eagles in a 107-43 loss to the Spartans.
The Eagle boys won just three events total on the day with their other win coming from Wyatt Dungan, who captured the 400 with a time of 55.0.
On the girls’ side, Cocalico dropped its first section meet of the season in an 88-62 loss to the Spartans.
Ashley Strenko paced Cocalico (3-1) with a pair of individual wins on the day, claiming both the long jump (16-0) and the high jump (5-0).
Other individual winners from Cocalico included: Marissa Gingrich in the 800 (2:28.8); Megan Gingrich in the triple jump (30-10 1/2); and Emily Stauffer in the shot put (38-1 1/2).
Cocalico added a pair of wins in relays for its final two victories of the day. The team of Carrie Sensenig, Stephanie Wahl, Emily Johnson and Gina Glass took first in the 4 X 100 relay in a time of 52.3. And the 4 X 400 squad of Sensenig, Megan Gingrich, Marissa Gingrich and Janelle High also placed first in a time of 4:14.4.