Mounts ousted from districts by top-seeded Wilson, 4-0

By on October 31, 2012

By: TODD RUTH Review Sports Editor, Staff Writer

Ephrata's Carl Rowits (15), with teammate Isaiah Striver in back, tries to control the ball during Saturday's District game vs. Wilson. (Photo by Preston Whitcraft)

No ifs, ands or buts, Ephrata simply ran into a buzzsaw Saturday in the District Three AAA boys soccer quarterfinals at Hamburg High School.

Top-seeded Wilson (21-1-1) definitely lived up to its billing as four different players scored goals in an eventual 4-0 victory over the Mounts, who were eliminated.

"They were good," Ephrata Coach Rob Deininger said of the Bulldogs. "They are a quality team that has only lost once. They play very direct. They are very physical and they can get it down and knock it around."

With the win, Wilson, which has now won 14-straight games, advances to the District Three AAA semifinals now pushed back to Thursday because of Hurricane Sandy. The Bulldogs will face Hempfield in the first game of a doubleheader at Hersheypark Stadium, beginning at 5 p.m. Cumberland Valley and Carlisle will square off in the other semifinal game at 7 p.m.

Thursday’s winners will play for the District championship Saturday night, 7:30 p.m. at Hershey Stadium.

Ephrata, who won the Section Two championship this year but will graduate 10 seniors, closed out the year at 14-6-1.

"We accomplished most of our goals," Deininger said of the season. "Our two disappointments were probably the loss to Lancaster Mennonite in the league playoffs, and losing in Districts, one win from possibly getting a shot at states. But other than that, every game was competitive. We won the majority of them and we won a section title. We accomplished quite a bit as a team, and for our seniors it was a good way to go out."

Saturday, in a very physically-played game, the Mounts played even early with the Bulldogs despite losing five players at some point in the game to injury.

"It was a very physical game–both sides," Deininger said. "They were very physical and we responded in kind. We didn’t back down."

But Wilson finally drew first blood midway through the first half when the ball was sent to the far post off a header, where Mack Trexler was stationed to head to the ball into the net.

The Bulldogs quickly doubled their lead about eight minutes later when Rocky Elgogari tallied on another header after Wes Frebel served it into the 18 with 12:10 remaining.

Frebel then added the third goal of the half for Wilson in the final minute of the half, ripping a bullet in from 15 yards out and the Bulldogs were in command.

To make matter worse for Ephrata, starting goalie Kole DeHaven was lost in the first half for the game with an eye injury.

Jimmy Hickey and Alex Smith both filled in for DeHaven, and did an admirable job. But the damage was already done.

The second half was pretty uneventful until Wilson closed out the scoring in the final seven seconds when Adam Bainbridge put the finishing touches on this one by putting one home.

For the game, Wilson out shot Ephrata, 10-2, and held a 6-3 advantage in corners.

"They were a nice team," Deininger said of the Bulldogs. "We accomplished what we needed to get done this year. We just came up short in the last game."

About Ephrata Review