Reamstown AA Reds remain in second place

By on June 25, 2014

Playing in the shadow of the Reading Pagoda at Egelman’s Park, the Reamstown Athletic Association Reds of the 28-and-over Berks County Senior Baseball League split a doubleheader on Sunday with the third-place Blue Jays.

The Reds dropped game one of the twinbill, 4-3, as the Jays scored in the seventh and final frame to take the win. The Blue Jays started the scoring with two runs, one unearned, off Reamstown starter Todd Adair in the third, but the Reds tied it in the fifth, plating two unearned runs of their own.

Three consecutive singles in the bottom of the inning put the Jays in the lead again, until the seventh, when the Reds rallied to tie the score at three. Catcher Mike Sensenig hammered a one-out double to the fence in center, and a two-out walk to Harry Rogers and a single by Bob Marino loaded the bases. Bo Keck then came through with a two-out RBI hit to right-center, but the Reds could not add any more in their half of the inning.

Reamstown’s suspect baserunning, failing twice to score runners from second on two-out hits, cost them the game, as the Jays loaded the bases in the home half of the seventh and won on a walk-off sacrifice fly to right.

Although Adair dropped to 3-2 on the season, he pitched well, allowing three earned runs on eight hits and one walk.

In game two, Reds’ lefty Josh Shipton picked up his first win after returning to the team this year, backed by an eight-run, 13-hit attack from his offense. Shipton allowed one earned run in each of the first two innings and single unearned runs in the second and third. From there, he gave up only two more hits, constantly keeping the Jays’ hitters off balance.

In the meantime, the Reds batters kept after the Blue Jays’ hard-throwing starter Jason Ziegler and reliever Eric Pettit. Bob Marino started the second with a double, and with one out, Brent Firestone walked. After the runners moved up on a wild pitch, Troy Boyer grounded to third, and the Jays failed to make the play at the plate on Marino, who was running on contact. With two outs, Randy Martin singled through the right side scoring Firestone.

Shipton helped himself by walking and scoring in the third ahead of Phil Wiest, who both came around when the Jays threw away Adair’s grounder. The Reds took the lead for good in the fifth after Boyer’s one-out hit and an overthrow put a runner on second for another two-out RBI hit from Martin.

The Reds got some insurance in the top of the seventh, scoring three runs on five hits and an error. Steve Young started the inning with a single but was later forced for the second out. On the play, the relay throw got past the first baseman and Turk Keith took second. Phil Wiest followed with a hit and both runners came in on Todd Adair’s long double to rightcenter. After Marino singled, Rod Martzall drove in the Reds’ third two-out run of the inning and eighth and final tally of the game. Although it was not a save situation, Bo Keck came in to pitch the final frame and test his ailing right elbow, which looked fine on this day, as he set down the Jays 1-2-3, ending the game with a strikeout.

The doubleheader split leaves the Reds at 7-3, two games out of first and a game ahead of the Blue Jays. Next week, the Reds head to Baer Park in Reading for a single, nine-inning game with the Savage 61 Dodgers.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *