- Flamin’ Dick celebrates the golden years of rock-n-roll
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Library explores the FAQs around ‘Exploring Human Origins’ exhibit
- Eight-year-old boy creates Monkees video, gets nod from Micky Dolenz
- A belly full of laughter: EPAC presents ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- Trolley’n for brews
- Pretzel Fest: twisted fun for everyone
- Armed Forces Day swing dance
- Ephrata Police caution on new smoking rules
- Pretzel Fest will feature 13 tasting stations
Three-run fifth dooms EHS girls
The Ephrata girls softball team had one rough inning Tuesday afternoon at home vs. Solanco in the Section Two opener. Unfortunately, that one frame proved to be costly in a 7-1 loss to the Mares
Solanco broke open a scoreless game with a five-run third inning Tuesday. Ephrata got one run back in the fourth but the Mares added their final two runs in the top of the fifth to seal the victory.
Ephrata pitcher Jenna Yarger went the distance, striking out five while allowing nine hits and three walks in the loss.
Offensively, the Lady Mounts (0-1 league, 0-3 overall) were led by Alexa Hershberger, who reached base three times with a walk, a single and a hit by pitch.
Brittany Fisher clubbed a double and a triple to lead the nine-hit Solanco attack.
Last Thursday at home vs. Lampeter-Strasburg, the Lady Mounts held an early 4-2 lead but let it slip away as the Pioneers rallied for an eventual 12-4 victory.
L-S took the lead for good with a three-run fourth, and continued to tack on the rest of the way.
L-S pitcher Jordan Weaver scattered five hits while striking out 14 Ephrata batters in the complete-game victory.
Bri Garber led the winners offensively with a 3-for-4 performance, including a triple. Weaver added two hits off Ephrata Yarger, who struck out five and walked four in the loss.
Ephrata’s Alexis Lovell went a perfect 3-for-3 with a double and a triple to pace the five-hit Lady Mounts’ attack.
Up next, Ephrata will host Lebanon Wednesday afternoon at 4 p.m.