‘Wave’ of accomplishments
The 2014 summer swimming season has come to an end and the Ephrata Rec Center Tidal Waves have splashed its way to a season full of great accomplishments.
The Tidal Waves, who won the Division Two conference last season, moved up to Division One this season and faced some great competition. The team finished with an overall 1-5 record in the division.
While the Division One dual meets proved to be a great challenge this season, the Tidal Waves swimmers excelled with individual time improvements and at several LSSL Invitationals.
The Tidal Waves finished second out of 12 teams at the Manheim Fast and Furious Invitational, second out of 14 teams at the Woodridge Classic Invitational, third place out of seven teams at the Ephrata Relay Carnival, and fourth out of 8 teams at the Lititz Springs Invitational.
The team competed at the League Championships July 25-26 at Manheim Pool.
The following Ephrata relay teams finished in the top 12 of their events:
· 8-and-under girls freestyle relay- Peyton Rideout, Kauri Parsons, Kasey Swan and Avery Bitner, first place.
· 8-and-under boys freestyle relay- Landon Mendenhall, Gannon McClain, Aiden Weaver and Joey Myer, third place.
· 8-and-under boys freestyle relay- Lucas Martin, Graham Mendenhall, Ethan Mentzer and Aaron Manderewicz, 11th place.
· 9-10 girls freestyle relay- Sarah Heberlig, Madison Kimmel, Hattie Mendenhall and Emma Huber, eighth place.
· 11-12 girls freestyle relay- Mary Campbell, Kierra Parsons, Elizabeth Mendenhall and Alyssa Fedorshak, seventh place.
· 13-14 girls freestyle relay- Caitlin Ream, Sydney Morgan, Leah Weaver and Maya Chedraoui, seventh place.
· 13-14 boys freestyle relay- Dawsen Miller, Noah Young, Asher Brunner and David Waegele, 11th place.
· Open girls freestyle relay team- Sydney Dundon, Autumn Muckle, Makenzie Colton and Cassidy Reddig, 10th place.
· 8-and-under boys medley relay- Landon Mendenhall, Gannon McClain, Aiden Weaver and Lucas Martin, fifth place.
· 8-and-under boys medley relay- Noah Durling, Graham Mendenhall, Aaron Manderewicz and Ethan Mentzer, 10th place.
· 11-12 girls medley relay- Kierra Parsons, Elizabeth Mendenhall, Alyssa Fedorshak and Mary Campbell, ninth place.
· 13-14 girls medley relay- Leah Weaver, Sydney Morgan, Caitlin Ream and Maya Chedraoui, seventh place.
The following Ephrata individuals earned top 12 places in their events. They included:
· Avery Bitner, girls 8-and-under 25 freestyle, first place; and girls 8-and-under 25 butterfly, first place.
· Maya Chedraoui, girls 13-14 50 butterfly, ninth place.
· Alyssa Fedorshak, girls 11-12 50 backstroke, 11th place.
· Cole Freeman, boys 9-10 25 backstroke, third place; boys 9-10 25 freestyle, fourth place; boys 9-10 25 butterfly, fourth place.
· Kailee Freeman, girls 11-12 50 freestyle, 10th place; girls 11-12 50 backstroke, 12th place, girls 11-12 50 butterfly, seventh place.
· Thomas McGillan, boys 11-12 50 freestyle, eighth place; boys 11-12 50 backstroke, ninth place; boys 11-12 50 breaststroke, eighth place.
· Landon Mendenhall, boys 8-and-under 25 freestyle, 11th place; boys 8-and-under 25 breaststroke, seventh place.
· Sydney Morgan, girls 13-14 50 breaststroke, 10th place.
· Joey Myer, boys 8-and-under 25 freestyle, first place; boys 8-and-under 25 breaststroke, first place; boys 8-and-under 25 butterfly, second place.
· Caitlin Ream, girls 13-14 50 fly, 12th place.
· Peyton Rideout, girls 8-and-under 25 backstroke, second place; girls 8-and-under 25 butterfly, 11th place.
· Leah Weaver, girls 13-14 50 backstroke, 10th place; girls 13-14 50 breaststroke, 9th place.
Seven-year-old Joey Myer set two Ephrata Tidal Waves team records this season. Joey broke the 8-and-under boys 25-yard freestyle record by swimming 14.82 at the 2014 Ephrata Mini Meet. Joey also broke the 8-and-under boys 25 meter butterfly record by swimming a time of 18.28 at the LSSL 2014 championship meet. This breaks a 24-year-old team record set by Casey Coble.
The Ephrata Rec Tidal Waves will next compete during the 2014-2015 winter season as part of the Central Penn Aquatic League. For those interested in joining the winter team, information for winter team registration can be found on the Ephrata Rec Tidal Waves website or at the Ephrata Rec Center.
Fit Farm facility still a contender in zoning fight
For two and a half hours, Attorney Kenelm Shirk offered...
DVGRR hoping to get lucky
Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue (DVGRR) is participating in a...
Adamstown youth now an Eagle Scout
The scouts, parents, and leaders of Troop 61 in Adamstown...
New Scout House in Denver nearing completion
Denver native Brian Shober proudly inspected the new, 1,000 square...
Terry A. Bergman, 62, Reinholds, Vietnam vet, served West Cocalico Township, enjoyed hunting
Terry A. Bergman, 62, of Reinholds, PA died unexpectedly Thursday,...
Grant L. Boyer, 90, WWII vet, past commander of Reinholds VFW, Swamp Lutheran parishioner
Grant L. Boyer, 90, of Sinking Spring, passed away Friday,...
Harry K. ‘Gramps’ Brown, 66, Akron, Vietnam vet, truck driver, softball coach, enjoyed woodworking
Harry K. Brown, 66, of Akron, passed away Monday, July...
Fit Farm facility still a contender in zoning fight
For two and a half hours, Attorney Kenelm Shirk...