Historical Society announces new limited edition picture book

By on October 5, 2011


This is a timely photograph, especially in light of the recent flooding, and one of many found in the Historical Society's new picture book. The photo dates from July of 1908 and shows the flood waters of the raging Cocalico Creek surrounding the old four-arch stone bridge on West Main Street in Ephrata. The view was taken from the east side of the bridge, looking west. At left today would be the Ephrata Business Center. The two-and-a-half-story brick house seen at right of center in the distance still stands on the northwest corner of West Main Street and Martin Avenue.This is a timely photograph, especially in light of the recent flooding, and one of many found in the Historical Society's new picture book. The photo dates from July of 1908 and shows the flood waters of the raging Cocalico Creek surrounding the old four-arch stone bridge on West Main Street in Ephrata. The view was taken from the east side of the bridge, looking west. At left today would be the Ephrata Business Center. The two-and-a-half-story brick house seen at right of center in the distance still stands on the northwest corner of West Main Street and Martin Avenue.

The Historical Society of the Cocalico Valley is pleased to announce the publication of its new picture book entitled "Through the Years: Photographic Views of the Cocalico Valley," by the society’s librarian Cynthia Marquet.

The 240-page book features over 175 previously unpublished photographs from around the Cocalico Valley. Accompanying each photograph is descriptive text recording the fascinating history of the image. The photographs, arranged by municipality, span the years 1870 through the 1960s and represent local events, buildings and even a few personalities from bygone days. Many of the photographs will bring back treasured memories to the book’s readers, while others represent memories of previous generations of Cocalico Valley residents.

A limited edition of 700 copies of the book will be printed and are being offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. The books will be received from the printer in time for Christmas.

A sampling of photographs from the book include the Hahnstown United Zion Church, Black Horse Tavern, Bergstrasse School hot lunch program and the Green Dragon Farmers’ Market & Auction from Ephrata Township and Hinkletown.

Among the photos from Ephrata Borough are those of Wingenroth’s East End Planing Mill, D & E Telephone and Telegraph Co., the town’s 1917 Memorial Day Parade, Root’s Service Station, Electric Light Plant, Groff’s Food Store, Ephrata & Lebanon Street Railway Co., 1902 Ephrata Monument parade and dedication, Mentzer Electric Co., Givler’s Shirt Factory, Ephrata Harmonica Band and Wilson Shirk’s blacksmith shop.

Among the images from Clay Township are photos of the Mt. Airy Hotel, Henry S. Eberly’s cigar factory, Hopeland Park, Hopeland United Brethren Church, Levi Wissler’s Farm, the Myles & Edna Hammer home and the George Burkholder farm.

Some of the photos representing East and West Cocalico Townships include the Roy W. & Elizabeth Noll farm, Blainsport United Brethren Church, Schoeneck School, Schoeneck Hotel, Schoeneck Union Sunday School, Witmer’s Garage, Reamstown’s Main Street, Lesher’s Store, Haldeman’s Poultry Farm, Stevens’ Main Street and the Stevens Fire Co.

Denver is represented by views of Windish’s Cafe, Messner’s Planing Mill, Miller’s Hardware & Drug Store, Sweigart’s Service Station, Denver Fire Co. and Constable Dolores (Hicks) Leed, among others.

Among the photos from Adamstown are images of Immanuel United Evangelical Church, Whitman’s Meats, Stork’s Grocery Store, Bishop’s Adamstown Garage, Mohn’s mill and Hatt’s blacksmith shop.

The communities of West Earl Township and Akron are also included. Among the photos from these communities are the Groffdale Mennonite Church; Brownstown’s State Street; William Hart and his airplane; Shiffer’s tinsmith shop; Rupp’s mill; the Conestoga Valley Park; Diamond Spring Farm; Brown’s cigar factory; Akron Fire Hall; Weidman’s cigar box factory; Miller, Hess & Co.; and the Akron railroad station.

The books are available at a cost of $35. An order form can be found in this issue of the paper. Books can also be ordered by stopping by the Historical Society’s library, 237 W. Main St., Ephrata. The Society’s hours of operation are Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For additional information, or to request an order form, call the society at 733-1616 during the hours listed. More BOOK, page A6

About Ephrata Review