Reds down A’s in final home contest

By on July 29, 2015


Reamstown’s Tom Smucker lays down the tag to retire a runner at second base during Sunday’s victory over the A’s. (Photo by Stan Hall)

Reamstown’s Tom Smucker lays down the tag to retire a runner at second base during Sunday’s victory over the A’s. (Photo by Stan Hall)

In their final home game of 2015, the Reamstown Athletic Association Reds gained a 10-7 victory over the A’s in Berks County Senior League Baseball action to run their record to 11-5 on the season.

The A’s, whom the Reds beat twice earlier in the year, jumped out to a lead in the first on a hit, a walk, and a two-run double. Reamstown got one back in the bottom of the inning, when Todd Adair drove in Brent Wilson, who scored the first of his three runs in the game.

The A’s increased their lead to 5-1 in the top of the third, scoring three in the frame, including two unearned runs that scored thanks to the Reds’ first error in their last 13 innings. But, as would prove the case all day, the Reds kept coming back, scoring three runs of their own in the bottom of the inning. Troy Boyer led off the inning with a single, and his courtesy runner came around to score on Wilson’s triple down the left field line. Rod Martzall then drove in Wilson, who scored when the A’s tried to get him at the plate. After a hit batsman, Todd Adair picked up his second RBI of the day, with a line drive double to left center.

Reds’ starter Josh Shipton held the A’s scoreless over the next two frames, while Reamstown tied the game at five in the fourth when Steve Young scorched a ball through the left side of the infield to score Phil Wiest, who led off the inning with a single and moved to third on an error and Shipton’s sacrifice bunt.

In the top of the sixth, the seesaw affair shifted momentum back to the A’s, as they got to Shipton for two more unearned runs. The Reds’ lefty exited the game after seven innings, allowing seven runs, only three of which were earned, striking out six, and walking one.

The Reds took Shipton off the hook in the bottom of the seventh, scoring two unearned runs on only one hit and a hit batter.

Rod Martzall took over on the mound for the Reds in the eighth, and he did a terrific job pitching out of a jam created by two more errors from Reamstown’s sloppy defense.

With the bases loaded and one out, Martzall struck out the next batter, who had nailed a long double earlier, and got the final out of the inning on an infield pop out.

Though the defense did not offer much help, the Reds’ offense backed Martzall in the bottom of the eighth by scoring three and taking a 10-7 lead that they would not relinquish. Turk Keith led off the inning with a walk, Mike Sensenig followed with a single, and Phil Wiest was safe at first when the A’s botched the play on his sacrifice.

The A’s then retired Keith at the plate on a grounder, but they could only get Steve Young at first on his deep ground ball to the hole at short, and the Reds had the lead. They added insurance runs on Boyer’s RBI-single and another A’s error.

In the ninth, Martzall put the A’s down in order, picking up the win for his two-inning, three-strikeout performance.

Next Sunday, the Reds travel to Egleman’s Park in Reading to finish up the regular season against the Dodgers and get a last tune up before the playoffs begin the following Saturday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *